Total Pageviews

Thursday 23 June 2011

Alan Thompson Interview Part 2.



Alan Thompson Interview Part 2.



Favourite DTPM records.

Again very difficult but a track that became and anthem for me at Fabric was Ministers de la Funk “Believe” a beautiful vocal track with an uplifting piano riff, very much what I played at DTPM when it was at fabric, for me the best years.

What style of music did you play?

I’ve always said and say today, I play house music, sometimes vocal, sometimes deep, sometimes techi but always funky. For me music has to make you want to swing your butt, no mater what genre. Over the years my style has changed with the times, I have always tried to keep ahead with my style but at the same time keep a certain funkier Alan Thompson edge to whatever I play. 




Did you ever play abroad? if so where?

Of course. I have been lucky enough in my DJ career to have played all over the World. Spent many summers playing in Ibiza as well as touring extensively in America, Asia and of course Europe.

Do you still play out now? if so where?

Yes I still play but not to the extent I used to. I decided 2 years ago to slow down a bit as I opened a coffee shop here in Sydney. I tend to play at selective clubs in Australia where I get a captive audience for the sound I play. 

How did your Trade residency come about?

After I had got confident enough to give out mix tapes 1 of them was being played at a chill out that Laurence Malice attended and he asked for my details. He called me and invited me to play at a 1 off gig he was putting on called Palookaville at Bagleys Warehouse, my set went well and got a great response from the crowd, A few weeks later a slot had come available at Trade and Laurence asked me to fill in, he also tried out several other DJs in this slot but eventually gave the slot to me, the rest as they say is history.


For more Alan Thompson info:

Part 3 Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment