Total Pageviews

Monday 19 March 2012

Carlo Gambino Interview Part 1.

This week I'm posting a fantastic interview with one of Leeds best DJs.  He has played pretty much all over, but for the likes of me will always be remembered for his sets at Speed Queen and The Glasshouse.




How did you get into DJing?
I first bought my decks (well my folks did) at 17, I used to play a mixture of stuff and then my friend Paul Kelly got me into all things ‘house’. I used to go to all the raves up and down the country and thought I really want to do this!

First 'proper' club?
First proper club to go to was ‘Wobble’ In Birmingham and ‘Music Factory’ In Sheffield.  I never missed a week for years. Good times….

Favourite 90s clubs to visit?
Again, has to be either Wobble or Music Factory. The Bomb in Nottingham was also amazing. I’ve seen so many great djs there and some of the best times of my life around that period. Before I started djing properly we would go on a road trip to a different club in a different city every week pretty much.

Favourite clubs to play at?
Back to Basics is always special….so is ‘The Supershack’ in Middlesborough. Ive played up and down the uk but these are definitely up there.

Favourite 90s DJs?
Alistair Whitehead! He was a regular at Music Factory, I had just got my decks so was in heaven week after week. He played in Sheffield a lot so it was brilliant. Also the likes of John Digweed, Sasha, Roger Sanchez.
Favourite 90s remixers?
Probably ‘Xpress 2’ to be honest but there’s far to many to name. But every production from these guys was always a winner.

Favourite 90s remixes?
Frankie Knuckles, Derrick Carter, Masters At Work, Deep Dish, Kerri Chandler, DJ Sneak.

Favourite 90s dance records?
Anything from labels like: Strictly Rhythm, Junior Boys Own, Henry Street, Classic, Nervous, Subliminal, Azuli, Positiva, 

Part 2 tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment