Total Pageviews

Saturday 22 January 2011

DJ Glenn Miller interview final part.


DJ Glenn Miller Part 3 - Final Part.








So how did your friendship with Tony de Vit come about?

I'll tell you of my first meet with Tony as its quite funny and sums Tony up,

I cant remember the fist time Tony played Trade as a guest or if he did at all, but i know for a fact ( quite sure anyway) that Tony's residency at Trade started on the 18th July (not sure which year 92 maybe) I know this as its my birthday .

I had a lot of friends that worked at the Marquee club that was on Charing Cross RD I actually did the door on the old Marquee when it was in Wardour St , so we would go to a club called Fusion there every Saturday night, the night was aimed at a young crowd and a bit cheesy . as I had already started to mix (not at all well) I knew enough to know a good DJ when I heard one.





Anyway on my birthday we all met at the Marquee as it was gonna be an excuse for a few more people than usual to go to Trade, on this night the music at Fusion was very good both mixing and music, I mentioned this to the promoter and told him the DJ was the best that's ever played for the night but he said no he was too hard.

A load of us went to Trade and as it was my b/day it was carnage.  I was in a heavenly stupor, the thing I can remember before it went blank was the DJ that had played at Fusion was gonna play at Trade, I perched myself by the DJ booth for a while as standing was gonna be a problem and this was in the days when the DJ booth was open, so I Lent over the side and just watched while I turned semi conscious just leaning and watching , the night was good I think. 

The next week the DJ from Fusion and the Trade slot who I never knew came over to me and said "happy birthday for last week Glenn" and introduced him self to me at the same time as giving me one of his mixed tapes , yep it was Tony. he told me how I was the week before and how he tried to say hello  and my mates had told him it was my birthday and my name , we became friends from that moment .

Tony was just one of the nicest people you could ever meet, the trouble was he liked to joke, a lot.  He gave me his home number and said to call anytime.  I was introduced to Steve his partner.  
Me and Steve got on great and he even took me on his books for DJ Poole (Steve Poole's DJ agency) when I actually became a good enough DJ, as he had all the Trade DJ's. 

My fist gig for him was in Brum for £200 , which was way more than I had earned before.  Then after I was a Trade res my next gig was £400 , Tony said I was worth it and that was good enough for Steve.



Tell me a bit about your DJing at DTPM.

When I first played DTPM I did the last set in the slightly smaller room, with DJ's like Smoking Jo, Troy , Tasty Tim, Jeffry Hinton.  I played much more pure house than my Trade sets lots of Italian house and some much slower than usual even cheesy ( I used to play , White Lines by Grand Master Flash lol. it got hard to mix in there sometimes as Tim and Jeffry would have there hands all over me while I was mixing to try and wind me up.

They were always commenting about me making sure my mixes were long and accurate.  So I took it all as a compliment, I even had Mr C the End co owner come up to me at the end of the night and congratulate me as he was on the dance floor for the whole of my set and loved it.  Which was really nice of him.

in the other room I could play a bit tougher, not quite as mad as a Trade set but getting there.   Again it was always the last set







Coming later today a 2 part mix From Glenn live at Trade!


Many thanks to Glenn for doing this interview.  Lets hope that promoters start booking him again as he really is a talented DJ as well as a nice guy.


Fingers crossed if I do put on a night later this year he will play at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment